Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Copy and paste update!

We have had several people checking in and asking for an update, and while we are trying to reply to each one, I figured it wouldn't hurt to make a blanket post so everyone could see. First off, we are so thankful for everyone who has prayed for us and stood along side of us during this journey. God has been so good and has taught us so much during these hard times and we are so thankful to have faithful friends who have shown love to us in ways we know only God could do. Last Christmas, I started passing out/blacking out. It came out of no where and with no explanation. I started seeing a neurologist and he thought I was having seizures. I had an MRI, eeg, tons of blood work and they were able to see that my brain was completely normal and no seizures were occurring. He said that I was probably massively fatigued and highly stressed. Months went by and the passing out/blacking out kept happening. Bill's company closed and he was jobless for months, then it got to where I was having these episodes 3-4 times a week. Still, thinking it was stress related, we paid no extra attention. He found an amazing job out of town and started immediately and was gone for a couple weeks before he came home and we packed up and moved to the mountains with him. We had car issues, house issues, he was working a lot and I was still having episodes. I remember waking up from one of my episodes one early morning on the hard kitchen floor in our new mountain house when I told God that I couldn't do this anymore. I never passed out while holding one of the kids and it never happened when I was sitting. Almost always when I had just stood up, bending over, squatting.. But that morning when I fell on the kitchen floor, I made up my mind that this wasn't stress anymore. It was not normal.. Almost dangerous and I was tired of doing it. I called my dr and he was shocked to hear that it was still happening. (I hadn't really been telling anyone that they were happening like they were. I had to be strong.. I didn't want to whine or complain. My husband had a lot going on at his new job and I couldn't worry him with this and my parents were missing us and worried about me already, so I couldn't tell them and have them worry anymore.) I saw my neurologist in Augusta one last time and he had no answers, however he noticed some buldging in my neck and said that I needed to get an ultrasound of my thyroid immediately and preferably that same day. I left his office, went and had the scan done, received a new car that would get me and my babies up our road to our mountain house (thanks to my amazing family!!) and then had to head back to Clayton. My family dr called me the next day and said that the scans didn't look good and I needed to have a biopsy pretty soon and set up appts with an endocrinologist in Augusta and my neurologist was referring me to see a cardiologist to see if my heart had anything to do with my episodes. I met with a cardiologist about an hour away from my mountain house and he ordered several more tests. I had an ekg and Echo which were both perfect, I wore a heart monitor for 2 weeks and also had a tilt table test and tons of more blood work. When I saw him a few weeks ago, he was dumbfounded that I was able to fully function based on my heart monitor results. I have really low blood pressure and a normal resting heart rate (60-70) but everytime I was having an episode, my heart rate would jump to the 170s. My blood pressure would remain super low which would basically confuse my brain and it would shut down for a few seconds and that is when and why I would pass out. He is somewhat diagnosing me with POTS syndrome, although he isn't fully convinced with my heat rate almost tripling in those moments. He also put me on a low dose of Beta blocker and told me to decrease my water in take and triple my salt intake. He also said that the beta blocker may make my blood pressure even lower (which we can't afford for that to happen) and if it does, then I will need to take something raise my blood pressure (but that may make my heart rate increase and increase the frequencies of my episodes.) however, I am a perfect candidate for a Pase maker and although that is the worst case scenario, it will not be the end of the world:) I have been on the beta blocker for a little over 2 weeks, so I'm not sure if we can tell a difference yet. (However, I have still blacked out in the mean time..) and back to the thyroid... I had surgery 10 days ago to remove the left side. It had the biggest, most alarming nodules and while I was open, they did a frozen biopsy on them to see if they were malignant and if so, they would remove the right side as well. The immediate results came back benign so they left the ride side in and sewed me back up. However the dr did notice some smaller fiberous places on the inner left lobe that he sent off to have further testing. He called me on Sunday and said that all of that came back as cancer. He thinks he got it all and we would just have to watch it and have lots of scans to look for change and if there is anything different at anytime, then he would go in and take the right side. Or he offered to go ahead and bypass all of that and take out the ride side now. Whether it has cancer or not. Bill and I have been praying about this decision and I have a strong desire and peace to go ahead and take the right side out now. I am scheduled for November 16, and although they have said that recovery will be much harder the second time seeing as though I was just cut open, I still feel like this is the right thing to do for me. I still have cardiologist appts coming up but overall, I feel good. God has stretched me more than I could have ever imagined this summer/fall. And at times it was unbearable and extremely hard. But He is faithful.. So very faithful! And he has blessed us with the most amazing families and friends. Yall have shown us love and generosity and truly been the hands and feet of Jesus. He has moved mountains for me.. Just in the past few weeks.. If you only knew what my God has done. I don't deserve His goodness. Nope, not one bit! But yet, he still loves me and blesses my socks off. Thank you all who have prayed for us.. Please continue to do so! And thank you for the notes, gift cards and meals! I know it's hard Because we are here, there and yonder... But thank you just the same. My surgery will be in Augusta and I think Bill will remain up here in Clayton so he won't have to miss work and the big kids won't have to miss school.. But all of those details can be worked out later:) 
If you made it this far, you deserve a pat on the back. I'm not even going to try and proof read it.. So forgive my misspells and wrong punctuation. Love yall! 

No comments:

Post a Comment